Tuesday 13 March 2012

Final Piece Inspirations

Geraldine Georges - Her works of illustration/paint on top of a cut up photograph is really interesting. I like the way her models are very emotive and their really pale skin. Some of the images are black and white, and some show a simple flash of red in the lipstick/nail varnish.
I think I could incorporate this style into my work because I like drawing over the top of images and I think different patterns - like Georges has done - could work really well.
The simpleness of the left image's black and white is really stylish and plain, whereas the near lack of colour in the right image is still as eye-catching.

I like how the model looks like she's dripping in ink and the patterns and lines make the photo a lot more interesting to look at.

I think this is my favourite work of Georges, the pale blue background contrasts with the small amount of red on the lips and nails and the pink flowers make the colours pop even more.


John Thornqvist - His work involves elements of American cities such as water hydrants or lampposts covered in made-up worlds and tiny little created cities with lots of small features and characters. I think I could incorporate Thornqvist's works into my own because I have access to the elements of a city that he uses to create the tiny cities on. I could photograph the material things such as a light or bus, then draw or photoshop in the small characters.
I like this image because it shows a small made-up city, on top of a man-made feature that we are so used to seeing.

This is similar to the one above, the illustrations are seen in a human world.

This looks like a fairytale or cartoon.

Rankin - Rankin's work is mostly celebrities and famous faces but I am planned to make it more personal and shoot my friends of family. I would keep the ideas pretty similar to his 'Destroy' project, by writing, drawing, painting, ripping, making patterns and inking the images, by showing a 'before' and 'after' shot. 
I like how this photo is quite weird and not necessarily a photo of the two members of Basement Jaxx. It's interesting to see what other people's ideas are and how they like to portray themselves, which I could take and bare in mind when photographing my friends and family.

This 'Destroy' photo is quite simple, but is effective and shows what she wanted to get across.

I love the colours used in these separate photos of singer Robyn, although I also like the plain and simpleness of each one and the different facial expressions.

All Saints wanted to create charactertures of themselves...
I like these drawings because it shows how they wanted to portray themselves, and shows individuality.
I like how this photo of Example has informal writing and shows a more fun side.
Jill Orr - An Australian photographer who predominantly works with a lot of writing in her images - which I am intrigued by. However, her work tends to be quite dark and humourless, which I would probably steer away from, although I could take her ideas and change them into more happy subjects. 



This is probably not the most technically correct photograph, (intentionally), but I like the writing on the floor in chalk. (Similar to Rankin 'Destroy').

Virginia Echeverria Whipple - Her images are quite similar to that of Rankin, but in a more playful and tongue-in-cheek way. She takes photos of people in differing positions, and then 'destroys' them, by adding hair, sequins, feathers, beads and background pictures/drawings.

Similar to Rankin, but more vintage looking and something I could relate to more easily.

A few cut-up photos and placed back together in a different order, but it is able obvious as to what the image is. I like this idea and am thinking of taking it further towards my Final Piece.

Similar to the one above, but the face is different and I like the effect of the random placement and slightly irregularity.

The added hair and sequins add a fun mood to what could have been a rather dull image.


No comments:

Post a Comment