Tuesday 24 April 2012

Jason Travis Experiments

I experimented with some works of Travis by photographing my friends, family and people I know, along with the contents of their bags. I started off with my Photography teacher Jess.


This next image is of my dad. I tried to shoot different backgrounds for each portrait like Travis did.

I did the same thing for my mum.

I took quite a while to decide whether to do a dog image in Travis' style. I thought it might look slightly amateur, but I decided to experiment and try it. I think the fact I managed to get his cage in the background is relevant to the way Travis works - with the person's personality shown in the background of their image.

I am not planning to do a self portrait, but it depends on how many people I can photograph, as ideally, I would like as many different people as possible, with all different backgrounds and possessions. I did a self-portrait just to try it out for my mock-up experiments.


I edited these in Photoshop by dragging the two separate images onto a new page. I then changed the sizes to fit, the levels of colour and darkness, and occasionally the hue and saturation.

I make my ideas slightly different to Travis, and not completely copying, I am going to use Rankin's 'Destroy' project as inspiration. I am going to paint and draw onto different elements of the photo to add a different effect and it also stops me from simply copying Travis.

No comments:

Post a Comment